Indianapolis, Ind. – Ivy Tech Community College has honored Dr. Terri Fleming of Indianapolis as one of 39 individuals across the state selected to receive the 2022 President’s Award, the highest honor for Ivy Tech faculty and adjunct faculty.
The College honored each one of the winners for their exemplary work with students and the College community during the past year. A selection committee made up of alumni, past winners, State Trustees, faculty representatives, and college administration selected the honorees based on nominations from students, fellow faculty members, and Ivy Tech staff.
“The impact our faculty members have on our students extends far beyond the classroom,” said Ivy Tech President, Dr. Sue Ellspermann. “In addition to excellence in teaching, faculty members are often advisors, mentors, and role models for our students. Today, we are proud to recognize their excellence, passion, and dedication to Ivy Tech and the communities in which they live and serve.”
Charity Bowling, program chair for Respiratory Therapy, nominated Dr. Terri Fleming for being a positive role model who has worked hard to build relationships within the College and our community for nearly 20 years. She has taken the Healthcare Specialist Program to the next level by adding programs and certificates to improve the economy of the Indianapolis area. Most recently she has grown the Therapeutic Massage Program while gaining support from a large corporation. Furthermore, she has been instrumental in developing tools in her programs to assist students’ learning.
“She is an out-of-the-box thinker who understands the mission of Ivy Tech and the importance of her role as a leader for her students. Her worth ethic and drive to produce quality students who are prepared for the workforce are exceptional. Her positive attitude is infectious, and she is a joy to be around. Ivy Tech is lucky to have such a devoted faculty member,” wrote Bowling.
Now in its 42nd year, the President’s Awards Program recognizes faculty and adjunct faculty members from Ivy Tech locations throughout the state.
The College also honored Marquis E. Songer with the Glenn W. Sample Award Founder’s Award for Excellence in Instruction and Cynthia Carlson with the Gerald I. Lamkin Award. Sample and Lamkin are two former Ivy Tech presidents. Sample helped to found the College when it was called the Indiana Vocational Technical College and served as president from 1973-1980. Lamkin served as Ivy Tech president from 1983-2007, overseeing the growth of the College from a vocational school to the state’s community college.
The College also announced its first recipient of the Provost Award for Excellence in Honors and Teaching Service, Milan Andrejevich. The award is presented to a faculty member who has made significant contributions to the Ivy Tech Honors College in the areas of curriculum development, honors instruction, advisement and mentorship, assessment of student learning, multicultural experiences, and student research.
The winners of this year’s awards were as follows:
Glenn W. Sample Award
Marquis E. Songer – Assistant Professor and Program Chair, Machine Tool Technology (Terre Haute)
Gerald I. Lamkin Award
Cynthia Carlson – Associate Adjunct Faculty, Life Sciences (Anderson)
Provost Award for Excellence in Honors and Teaching Service
Milan Andrejevich – Professor, History (South Bend-Elkhart)
A full list of the statewide honorees is included below.
About Ivy Tech Community College
Ivy Tech Community College is Indiana’s largest public postsecondary institution and the nation’s largest singly accredited statewide community college system, accredited by the Higher Learning Commission. Ivy Tech has campuses throughout Indiana and serves thousands of students annually online. It serves as the state’s engine of workforce development, offering associate degrees, short-term certificate programs, industry certifications, and training that aligns with the needs of the community. The College provides a seamless transfer to other colleges and universities in Indiana, as well as out of state, for a more affordable route to a bachelor’s degree. Follow Ivy Tech on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and LinkedIn for the most up-to-date information.
# # #
Faculty Honorees (by Ivy Tech location):
- Anderson: Mark Robbins – Assistant Professor and Assistant Department Chair, Natural Sciences
- Bloomington: Daniel James O’Neill – Assistant Professor and Program Chair of Anatomy and Physiology
- Columbus: Amanda Burkman – Faculty, School of Nursing
- Evansville: Andrea Jefferson – Associate Professor, Elementary and Secondary Education Program Chair
- Fort Wayne: John Lynch – Program Chair, Accounting
- Hamilton County: Nicol Bradberry – ProgramChair, Business
- Indianapolis: Terri Fleming – Department Chair, Healthcare Specialist Programs
- Kokomo: Tara Kaser – Assistant Professor of Education, Dean and Program Chair Education
- Lafayette: Tami Andrade – Assistant Professor and Assistant Program Chair, School of Nursing
- Lake County: Louis Fadel – Assistant Professor, Science Department
- Lawrenceburg: Bradley Fentress – Associate Professor, Mathematics
- Madison: George Tackett – Assistant Professor, Program Chair, School of Advanced Manufacturing, Engineering, and Applied Sciences
- Marion: Satyavathi Dronamraju – Faculty, Mathematics
- Muncie: Holly Hudson – Assistant Professor of Criminal Justice, School of Public Affairs and Social Services
- Richmond: Gretchen Baumle – Associate Professor, Life Sciences
- Sellersburg: Amanda Boley – Associate Professor, Psychology, Department Chair, Psychology, Psychology Outcomes Assessment Lead
- South Bend-Elkhart: Linda R. Taylor, MSW, ICSW – Professor of Education, Department Chair for Early Childhood, Elementary, and Secondary Education
- Terre Haute: Marquis E. Songer – Assistant Professor and Program Chair, Machine Tool Technology
- Valparaiso: Jennifer Furmanek – Dean of Advanced Manufacturing, Engineering, and Applied Sciences
Adjunct Faculty Honorees (by Ivy Tech location):
- Anderson: Cynthia Carlson – Associate Adjunct Faculty, Life Sciences
- Columbus: Rebecca Morse – Adjunct Faculty, Math
- Evansville: William Douglas Sprick – Adjunct Faculty, School of Advanced Manufacturing, Engineering, and Applied Sciences
- Fort Wayne: Timothy Spear – Adjunct Faculty, Nursing
- Hamilton County: Kevin Jowitt – Adjunct Faculty, Criminal Justice
- Indianapolis: Virginia Taylor Rosner – Adjunct Faculty, Fine Arts
- Kokomo: Dennis Brunk – Adjunct Faculty, Life Science
- Lafayette: Shannon Sullivan Hudson – Associate Adjunct Professor, Education
- Lawrenceburg: Emily Johnston – Adjunct Instructor, Medical Assisting
- Madison: Roger Ward – Adjust Instructor, Technology
- Marion: Lakisha A’Shownda Fisher – Adjunct Faculty, Criminal Justice
- Muncie: Steve Knote – Adjunct Faculty, Business
- Richmond: Matthew Fulton – Adjunct Faculty, Engineering Services – HVAC/R
- Sellersburg: Casey Okong’o – Adjunct Clinical Instructor, Nursing
- South Bend-Elkhart: Mary Morgan – Adjunct Instructor, Human Services
- Terre Haute: Linda Pearson PhD – Adjunct Faculty, Behavioral Sciences
- Valparaiso: John Lohrentz – Adjunct Professor Cyber Security and CWCT Grant Program